INFORMATION AND PUBLICITY
2. Purchasing Tickets
Tickets may be purchased from the driver. Tax Saver Tickets are available by downloading and completing an application form from our website www.collinscoaches.ie. We also accept Adult, Student and Yound Adult Leap Cards on our services.
3. Your contract with the Company
4. You may not transfer your ticket
A ticket may only be used by the person for whom it has been bought. It cannot be resold or passed on to anyone else. Personalised leap cards and free travel passes may not be used by other persons and will be confiscated if used by anybody other than the ticket owner. The coach drivers may refuse entry to anybody caught sharing such tickets.
5. Requirement to hold a ticket
6. Conditions on which tickets are issued
* these Conditions;
* the conditions relating to certain types of reduced and discounted fare tickets set out in the notices and other publications issued by the Company and
* the conditions set out in the notices and other publications issued by another party if your ticket enables you to use any of their goods or services.
In the interest of safety, unaccompanied children under 8 years of age will not knowingly be carried in any circumstances.
The following conditions apply for children aged 8 to 12 years:
The Company’s staff and agents can request proof of age.
Children under twelve years of age are charged fares at such special child rates as may be specified from time to time. One child under three years of age will be carried free if accompanied by and in the charge of a fare-paying passenger, provided that the child does not occupy a seat to the exclusion of another passenger. Where doubt exists as to the eligibility of a child for a reduced fare, it is the responsibility of the passenger claiming the child fare to produce evidence of age.
8. Concessionary Travel Schemes
Where a Collins Coach service is part of the Free Travel Scheme, on presentation to the driver of a valid Department of Family and Social Affairs Free Travel Pass the holder, and companion if appropriate, will be entitled to travel free of charge.
Free Travel will only be provided on the basis that the customer presents a valid travel pass at the time of travel.
Free travel passes cannot be used on any of the Company’s M1 Motorway Services as they are not included in the Free Travel Scheme.
Free Travel passholders under the age of 65 may be asked to present photo ID.
9. Intermediate Stops
10. Refusal to Pay Fare
Passengers are obliged to pay the proper fare for their bus journey. If a passenger refuses or omits to pay the fare, he or she will not be permitted to travel.
11. Insufficient Accommodation
Every effort is made to ensure accommodation on buses for intending passengers (including ticket holders) but no liability or responsibility is accepted by The Company for the inability of a passenger to obtain a seat or to use a ticket on any particular bus if there is insufficient accommodation on that bus.
VALIDITY OF TICKETS
12. The period during which you can use a ticket
13. The times you can travel and the services you can use
USE OF TICKETS
14. Withdrawal of tickets
If you fail in a material respect to comply with any condition that governs the use of a ticket, the staff or agents of the Company may withdraw the ticket.
15. Claims for refunds
16. Please check tickets and change at the time they are issued
17. Arriving in time to board the coach
Passengers should aim to arrive at the boarding point for their coach 10 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time. Signal the driver to stop to indicate that you wish to board the coach. Where passengers arrive later than the scheduled departure time the Company reserve the right to allow passengers to board the coach. No responsibility for any loss can be accepted in such circumstances.
18. Make sure you are on the correct coach and that you get off at the right stop
You are responsible for making sure that you join the correct coach and that you get off at the right stop.
19. Inspection of tickets
You must show and, when required, hand over for inspection, a valid ticket and any accompanying discount card at the request of the staff of the Company or its agent.
20. If your ticket is spoiled or altered
If a ticket is defaced, damaged or tampered with it is not valid for travel. The Company reserves the right to refuse to issue a replacement ticket in such circumstances.
21. Lost or mislaid tickets
A ticket is your evidence of your right to make a journey and its safekeeping is your responsibility. Lost or mislaid tickets will not be replaced nor will refunds be made in respect of them.
22. When you have to change coaches
If it is necessary to change coaches you will be responsible for your transfer between stops and for the transfer of your luggage.
23. Making time for connections
Passengers must allow plenty of time for their coach journey to arrive in time to connect with other forms of transport provided by other carriers or before an appointment when travelling to important appointments. The Company does not accept responsibility for any delays caused by circumstances beyond our control.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMPANY
24. The Company are committed to providing a quality service that suits all of our customers as well as promoting equality, accomodating diversity and ensuring non-discrimination for both our employees and our customers. We will not tolerate any discrimination based on gender, age, disability, race, religion, civil status, family status, sexual orientation or membership of the Travelling Community.
25. It is the Company’s responsibility to carry the passengers, with the minimum discomfort and inconvenience to the destination shown on the ticket. However sometimes, due to circumstances beyond the Company’s control, coach services are disrupted or cancelled.
26. The Company shall not be in breach of its obligations to carry the passengers if a service is cancelled due to circumstances beyond its reasonable control, which shall be deemed to include, but not be limited to exceptional severe weather conditions, accidents causing delays on the coach service route, fire and/or damage at a coach station, compliance with requests of the Gardai, deaths and accidents on the road, vandalism and terrorism and acts of God.
27. In the event of any failure by the Company to fulfill its obligations due to a circumstance beyond its reasonable control, the passenger shall be entitled to a refund of their ticket price but the Company shall have no additional liability beyond this.
28. If the Company fails to carry the passenger to their destination as shown on their ticket for any reason not otherwise excluded pursuant to section 25 above (for instance, and in particular due to a mechanical breakdown of the Collins coach), the Company shall, at its own expense, arrange or provide alternative transport, such as another coach, train, private car, taxi etc to complete the journey as soon as reasonably practical having regard to the circumstances and provided that the Company does so within a reasonable time, it shall have no other liability as a result of any delay in performing its obligations.
29. Limitation of Liability for Breach of Contract
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in these terms, the Company’s liability for any failure on its part to carry the passenger to the destination shown on the ticket shall be limited to reimbursing the passenger for the reasonable cost of alternative travel to such destination by coach, train, private car or taxi (or any combination of them) and the passenger shall be reimbursed on presentation to the Company’s office at Drumconrath Road, Carrickmacross, Co Monaghan of the appropriate receipt or other voucher for the cost of such travel. In particular, but without prejudice to the above paragraph, the Company shall have no liability for any consequential losses of the passenger as a result of failure by the Company to fulfill its obligations.
ON BOARD COMFORT
In the interest of all passengers the following “comfort” rules will apply:
30. Noise. The playing on coaches of radios, cassette or CD players, personal stereos, and musical instruments is not permitted. However, provided that the driver of a coach is satisfied that the sound of a personal stereo does not cause offence or inconvenience either to him or to the other passengers, he may allow an exception to this requirement. A coach is a confined area and passengers should only use mobile phones where essential.
31. Alcoholic drinks. Passengers are not permitted to take alcoholic drinks onto coaches for the purpose of consuming them on board, nor to drink such drinks on the coach or to remain on the coach when in the opinion of the driver they are under the influence of alcoholic drink.
32. No Smoking policy. Passengers are not permitted to smoke in any vehicle operated by the Company and designated no smoking areas in any coach station. The Company is entitled to require offending passengers to remove themselves from the coach or coach station if they do not comply with a request to desist from smoking.
33. Drug and Solvent abuse. Passengers are not permitted to board or remain on board any of the Company’s services whilst under the influence of drugs and/or solvents.
34. Special Needs. Certain seats may occasionally be reserved for disabled travelers etc. Passengers should always comply with any requests from staff to make such seats available.
35. Food. Passengers are not allowed to take any food or drinks onto our coaches. We are entitled to refuse access to any passenger with hot food.
36. Seat Belts. All seats on the coaches are provided with seat belts. Passengers are advised that seat belts should be worn for their own safety
37. The Company reserves the right to refuse entry or to remove from the Company’s vehicles any passenger who shall be or, in the opinion of the driver or other Company official, appears to be in breach of any of these comfort rules. Any passenger so refused or removed shall not be entitled to any refund or compensation whatsoever from the Company and the Company shall have no liability to the passenger whatsoever.
38. Passengers are requested not to cause any nuisance to their fellow passengers and at all times to follow the directions of the driver of the coach. The Company reserves the right to remove from the coach any passengers causing a disturbance or nuisance on the coach.
LUGGAGE AND PERSONAL PROPERTY
39. Neither the company nor its servants, agents or subcontractors are common carriers and luggage and personal property for carriage will only be accepted on these conditions.
40. We reserve the right to refuse to carry in the hold more than one suitcase or similar package of luggage and more than one small bag inside the coach. Additional luggage may be carried subject to accommodation being available within the vehicle. This right may be exercised even if larger amounts of luggage have been permitted on the outward journey.
41. Wherever possible, the Company will assist the wheelchair bound passenger. Folding wheelchairs will be carried where possible however battery-powered wheelchairs cannot be carried. The Company can offer no guarantee that a member of staff trained in the correct lifting and handling of the wheelchair bound passenger will be available to offer assistance. It is therefore incumbent on the passenger to make suitable arrangements to have a qualified person available to assist at boarding, departing or connecting point.
42. The Company reserves the right to refuse trunks or other bulky articles, or articles of an objectionable or dangerous nature or which have sharp or protruding edges which may tear or damage other luggage with which it is packed within the coach. The Company is also entitled to request any passenger to open any article of luggage for inspection by the driver or other authorised employee of the Company in the presence of the passenger if, for reasons of security, the Company considers it necessary to do so. Subject to availability of accommodation and payment of the appropriate charge, bicycles and skis/surfboards will be carried provided they are packed in such a way as to prevent damage to other luggage. Fragile items such as electronic goods, portable televisions, radios etc. will only be carried if they are of reasonable size and securely packed. The Company will not be responsible for damage to such items howsoever caused.
43. Passengers are responsible for getting themselves and their luggage onto the correct service. If the Company’s staff assists with luggage, it is still the passenger’s responsibility to see it on and off the coach. The passenger must also look after his or her luggage at all times including whilst at coach stations, stops and on the coach. Medication and valuables should not be stowed in the luggage hold but taken on board. The Company’s liability is limited to €120 per passenger and passengers are advised to ensure that they have proper insurance if their luggage is worth more than this.
44. Luggage given into the custody of the Company must be clearly and appropriately labeled and securely packed and locked/fastened. The passenger’s destination should be shown on the outside of the luggage.
45. The Company will not be liable for loss or damage to passengers luggage or to any possessions of the passenger unless such a loss or damage is caused by negligence on the part of the Company, its servants or agents; and, in the event of the Company being liable for loss or damage under this clause, its liability in such case shall be limited to the sum of €50 per item of luggage, with a maximum of €120 for any single claim. The Company will not be liable for any monetary loss whatsoever. This includes currency, valuable securities such as cheques, money orders, premium bonds and certificates and all other items which may be valued in money or money’s worth. The Company recommends passengers to insure their luggage and personal property.
46. In the event that a passenger suffers any loss of or damage to luggage, the passenger must report such loss in full to the appropriate Garda Síochána Station so that any subsequent claim can be fully investigated. The Company will not consider any claim for loss unless the Garda Síochána have been notified and a report filed by them in respect of such a claim. Any claim in respect of loss of or damage to property must be made to The Company within 24 hours of the journey on which the loss or damage is alleged to have occurred. A full written report detailing such loss or damage must be submitted within five days of that date to the Company.
47. Property found in or on vehicles will be deposited at The Company’s depot in Carrickmacross. A handling fee per article may be charged when lost property is claimed. If lost property is unclaimed for a period in excess of two months, such property will be sold and the monies obtained will be used to defray any expenses incurred by The Company in holding such property. No responsibility will be accepted by the Company for loss of or damage to property belonging to a passenger that is lost or stolen on The Company’s premises or on The Company’s vehicles.
CARRIAGE OF ANIMALS
48. Animals, other than guide dogs accompanying registered blind persons and hearing dogs accompanying deaf persons, will not be carried on the Company’s services.
49. If an animal is taken on board without the driver’s permission the passenger will be required to remove it.
50. The published running times of services are approximate only and the Company does not undertake that services will start or arrive at the time specified in its timetables
51. Except as provided in these terms, the Company will not be held liable for any loss howsoever arising or caused as a result of any delay to such services or by the same not operating in accordance with their published timings.
52. The Company reserves the right to alter its timetables or suspend, cancel or withdraw services or departures or other facilities without notice.
53. The right is reserved to provide carriage between the points stated on the ticket issued to the passenger by means other than the vehicles scheduled to run on the journeys to which the ticket relates.
54. Any ticket sold or arrangement entered into on behalf of the passenger is on the condition that the laws of Ireland shall apply to the contract arising and to the determination of the rights and liabilities of the respective parties and that no action or other proceedings shall be brought by either party in relation to the contract or for damages independent of such contract except in a court of competent jurisdiction in Ireland.